Apple commits to 100% carbon neutral footprint by 2030, releases 2020 Environmental Progress Report

carob netural by 2030 committment rect

Apple today is committing to having a 100% carbon neutral footprint in its entire product lineup and supply chain by 2030, marking its continued environmental efforts.

“Businesses have a profound opportunity to help build a more sustainable future, one born of our common concern for the planet we share,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “The innovations powering our environmental journey are not only good for the planet — they’ve helped us make our products more energy efficient and bring new sources of clean energy online around the world. Climate action can be the foundation for a new era of innovative potential, job creation, and durable economic growth. With our commitment to carbon neutrality, we hope to be a ripple in the pond that creates a much larger change.”

Apple

In a bold statement, Apple says that by 2030 all of its products “will have net-zero climate impact,” a challenge for the $1+ trillion company who’s supply chain is one of the most complex in the world. Apple says that in total it plans to reduce emissions by 75% by 2030, while “developing innovative carbon removal solutions for the remaining 25 percent of its comprehensive footprint.”

Apple in detail lays out its 10-year roadmap to achieve a 0 carbon footprint. The plan includes steps to build on the companies recycling program with a disassembly robot called “Dave,” expanding energy efficiency with a $100 investment with the US-China Green Fund and new technologies with processing materials.

Apple also announced that is partnering with Conservation International to invest in projects to help restore forests and degraded ecosystems around the world.

In partnership with Conservation International, the company will invest in new projects, building on learnings from existing work like restoring degraded savannas in Kenya and a vital mangrove ecosystem in Colombia. Mangroves not only protect the coasts and help support the livelihood of those communities where they grow, but they also can store up to 10 times more carbon than forests on land.

Through its work with The Conservation Fund, the World Wildlife Fund, and Conservation International, the company has protected and improved the management of over 1 million acres of forests and natural climate solutions in China, the US, Colombia, and Kenya.

Apple

The company also released its 2020 Environmental Progress report which goes into significant detail on the steps its taking to tackle climate change, low-carbon design, and more.

Default image
Sami
Sami started falling in love with Apple in 2010 with the iPhone 4S. As a registered developer, he deeply admires the world of Apple. Sami is an aspiring journalist, writer, and actor. He also has devoted his life to sharing his passion and knowledge with others around the world.