Apple released a new firmware update for AirPods Pro and 2nd Generation AirPods today. This update includes spatial audio and automatic device switching. This version is called 3A283 which is updated from the 2D15.
Both of these features were announced at WWDC2020 back in July and are finally to go live for iOS 14 beta testers. Only AirPods Pro will be getting spacial audio, while both the AirPods Pro and the Second Generation AirPods (A2031) will be getting the automatic switching feature.
- Make sure your AirPods and AirPods case are fully charged Plug in your iPhone to a power source
- Make sure you are connected to WiFi
- Power down your AirPods by holding down the button on the back of them.
- After about 30 seconds, you can power them back on.
- After doing this, your AirPods should update
If this does not work you may have to try it again. Sometimes it does take awhile for Apple to completely push the firmware out to all AirPods. An update to the AirPods update system is one of the things Apple has needed for a long time so please be patient with it.